Mesothelioma cancer is a type of cancer which affects the thin layer tissues which cover most of your internal organs or mesothelium. Mesothelioma is a deadly and aggressive form of cancer. Treatments for this ailment are available, but a cure is not possible for a majority of its patients.
The symptoms and signs of mesothelioma cancer do vary based on where it occurs.
- Pleural mesothelioma, that affects the tissues surrounding the lungs have the following symptoms and signs:
- Unexplained weight loss
- Strange lumps of tissues on your chest under the skin
- Shortness of breathing
- Painful coughing
- Pain in the chest under the rib cage
- Peritoneal mesothelioma, that affects abdominal tissues results in symptoms and signs including:
- Abdominal swelling
- Unexplained weight loss
- Lumps of abdominal tissues
- Abdominal pain
The symptoms and signs of the other mesothelioma types are not clear because they are very rare such as:
- Pericardial mesothelioma that affects the heart surrounding tissues can result in chest pains and breathing difficulty.
Causes of Mesothelioma
Generally, this cancer starts when series of genetic-mutations take place within a cell, making it grow and rapidly grow out of control. The cause of the initial genetic-mutations that results in mesothelioma is not clear though studies have established factors that may raise the risk. These risk factors include lifestyle choices, health conditions, environment and inherited conditions.
Types of Mesothelioma
Doctors have established different types of mesothelioma based on the mesothelium part affected. They are the following:
- Pleural mesothelioma. This type affects the tissues surrounding the lungs or pleura. This type is the most common.
- Pericardial mesothelioma. This one affects the heart surrounding tissues.
- Peritoneal mesothelioma. This affects abdominal tissues.
- Mesothelioma of tunica vaginalis. This mesothelioma type, on the other hand, affects surrounding tissues.
Treatment of Mesothelioma depends on the person’s preference, the stage of disease and the type of mesothelioma. The options include:
- Pleurectomy. This is the surgery conducted to remove the tissue affected. Pneumonectomy is the removal of the affected lung in the whole while lobectomy is its removal in part. Through this surgery, a life span for a person may be prolonged for some months or years.
- Phototherapy. This is also applied sometimes during pleurectomy. In this procedure, the stary cancer-cells found within the chest get highlighted using a special dye and destroyed by the laser.
- Thoracentesis. This is the removal of fluid found in the pleural cavity by the use of a needle injected between the ribs.
- Pleurodesis. This is the application of special powder between the pleural-layers to trigger inflammation and prevent excess fluid production
Other common mesothelioma treatment procedures are paracentesis, peritoneal surgery, radiotherapy and complementary and alternative therapies.
Mesothelioma Awareness Day
Mesothelioma awareness is commemorated on September 26 each year. It is a national day for awareness for this rare cancer referred to as mesothelioma. This awareness creation is geared towards mobilization of people to avoid exposure to asbestos which leads to this diseases. It is also aimed at raising funds for vital research targeting eradication of the disease or transiting it from a deadly to a manageable illness. This day is for those already infected or those with interest in patients support.
People who suffer from Mesothelioma are granted the legal right to file a Mesothelioma lawsuit. Anyone who has been diagnosed with this cancer type can get compensated from the celebration liable for his/her publicity to asbestos through a Mesothelioma lawsuit. This is necessary in order to get financial compensation.
Having a mesothelioma attorney is very important for initial screening. A mesothelioma attorney is specialized in personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits related to asbestos exposure. They target companies or industries which can be held liable for asbestos-exposure, which certainly results in mesothelioma.
Mesothelioma Financial Compensation
Mesothelioma financial compensation is the award granted to the plaintiff when the defendant is found liable or admits causing the disease in a Mesothelioma Lawsuit. Anybody afflicted with this cancer type should seek for such compensation as a matter of primary concern. It is really the greatest motivator to Mesothelioma victims.